Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Strange Flower.

Ever since I was little I've had a thing for pierrots, especially girl ones. A subcategory of pantomime, they are my favourite type of clown or, really, the only type of clown I like. I found this one while rummaging through the knick-knack shelf at the Value Village near my work. Unfortunately, the piece was awful: a sculpture(?) made to look like an old book with its pages shellaced together and topped off with a crackle finish. I struggled a bit about whether or not I should buy it anyway and decided a photograph was good enough.



Pierrots are traditionally dressed in a loose, frilly-collared top with pom pom buttons and billowy pantaloons but I found this image particularly striking because of how couture the collar looks, instantly reminding me of a Viktor & Rolf show from a few seasons back:

No comments:

Post a Comment